Happy Good Friday!!! Today’s Friday Favorite is all about Easter!!!
Easter is one of my favorite holidays, if you can call it a holiday. We don’t get off at work or school any extra days for Easter. 😦 However, it’s my favorite holiday because, it’s the holiday after the dreary winter, flowers are starting to bloom (aaaaahhhh chooooo!), and families usually get together. Since it’s a religious based holiday signifying Jesus’ resurrection from the dead, we always go to a nice Easter Mass where we get all dressed up in beautiful spring dresses. I already have my Lilly Pulitzer dress picked out for this Easter!! 🙂
Easter was also my favorite holiday to do all the cooking. It was “my” holiday. I used to work in a direct sales company working 6 days a week, typically on the road with other 20 somethings who didn’t have families nearby. It was a lot like the magazine folks that come to your door, just so you have an idea. So anyways, we were like our own family, spending so much time working together. When it came to Easter, not everyone could make it home to their families, so I started having everyone over to my house and I made Easter dinner for everyone. I love to cook, so it was absolutely my pleasure. It became a tradition, especially when my boyfriend’s (now ex) parents asked us to come up for Easter, and I told them that I had to have Easter for our friends that couldn’t make it to their homes. Then they started to come down for my Easter dinner as well.
Dinner always included My Pineapple glazed Ham, Mashed potatoes and Gravy, green beans, biscuits, salad caprese, prosciutto wrapped roasted asparagus, stuffed mushrooms, and of course-deviled eggs. Dessert always varied from cakes, cupcakes, brownies, pies, and candies, but everyone liked my chocolate glazed vanilla cheesecake. Everything made from scratch- just the way I like it. Everyone was welcome to bring whatever they wished, but were never required to bring anything.
This weekend we’re going house shopping. It makes me excited to think that maybe next year, I can reclaim my Easter dinner tradition and have my family and my soon to be in-laws over for dinner! Wish us luck!
I’d like to share my favorite cheesecake recipe from Martha Stewart:
Vanilla Cheesecake with Chocolate Glaze
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups graham-cracker crumbs, (about 11 crackers)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 pounds cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- Pinch of salt
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a small saucepan, melt 5 tablespoons butter. In a medium bowl, combine graham-cracker crumbs and 1/4 cup sugar. Stir in melted butter until crumbs are moist. Pour mixture into a 9-inch springform pan; press firmly, forming a 1/2-inch crust up sides of pan. Bake until set, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.
- Reduce temperature to 275 degrees. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese until smooth. Slowly add remaining cup sugar. Scrape in vanilla seeds; reserve pod for another use. Beat until well combined, about 3 minutes.
- Drizzle in eggs, one at a time, stopping occasionally to scrape down bowl. Beat in sour cream and salt. Pour batter into crust.
- Bake cheesecake until sides have set but center appears soft, about 1 hour 45 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool. Run a paring knife around the outside of crust, loosening it from pan. When cool, cover tightly with plastic; let set at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To serve, place chocolate, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, and cream in the top of a double boiler or a heat-proof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water. Stir occasionally until melted. Remove from heat; let cool slightly. Pour chocolate glaze over cheesecake; spread into a circle, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Chill just until chocolate has set, about 10 minutes.
- I usually top with something decorative like robin’s egg candies or peeps.
Enjoy! It’s my favorite go-to dessert recipe for cheesecake! You’ll love it!What are some of your favorite Easter traditions?? What is everyone doing this Easter? If you are traveling, please travel safe! Enjoy the weather.. it’s supposed to be in the high 70’s this weekend here in DC. Perfect for Cherry Blossom Festival!