I voted today, how about you?
Can you imagine what it was like not being able to vote? It was only 91 years ago that women were given the right to vote via the Nineteenth Amendment.
Many people have fought for the voting rights of women, so I feel it necessary to exercise my civic duty and get out to vote when I can. 🙂
There were of course women who felt that there were women that didn’t want to vote and were probably not qualified to vote anyways. These women were part of anti-women’s suffrage. Using humor, Alice Duer Miller wrote in 1915:
Why We Don’t Want Men to Vote:
- Because man’s place is in the army
- Because no really manly man wants to settle any question otherwise than by fighting about it.
- Because if men should adopt peaceable methods women will no longer look up to them.
- Because men will lose their charm if they step out of their natural sphere and interest themselves in other matters than feats of arms, uniforms, and drums.
- Because men are too emotional to vote. Their conduct at baseball games and political conventions shows this, while their innate tendency to appeal to force renders them unfit for government.
I thought it was funny. Hope you got a chance to get out and vote today.
I’m trying like heck to motivate to study for this finance exam, which I really NEED to study for, but can’t seem to focus enough to study. 😦
Hope all is well!